Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Sugar & Spice Handbag by ChrisW Designs Review

For Christmas, I made my mother-in-law a handbag. I selected the Sugar & Spice handbag pattern written by ChrisW Designs

I selected this bag because of the pockets and the style.

Here is the bag that I made for my mother-in-law:

I have worked with piping before, but it has been awhile. For anyone that is a beginner or have not worked with piping, it definitely can be a headache! So if you're new at piping, save the time and buy the premade ones by Wrights.  If you want to make your own, to make it easy on yourself, purchase the feet that can help make the piping. 
When it comes to stitching the piping on, always remember to sew as close to the piping as you can. It helps give a cleaner look.

Back to the pattern!
The pattern is very easy to follow. Definitely no complaints!!
I was incredibly happy with the outcome. 
Some mistakes that I made were my own fault, not the pattern. 
Even though the mistakes are not noticeable and pretty minimal to someone looking at the bag, but are noticeable to me, I will know next time how to correct them.

Update to the pattern:
The only thing I added to the bag that was not part of the pattern was adding a zipper pocket to the inside.

What I did, before adding the pockets to the that side:

I added the zipper pocket.
I cut the height of the pocket (total of 2" folded; or 4" when the fabric is laid flat).
Then I stitched the pocket as directed onto the lining fabric.

To conclude my review:
love this pattern, and can't wait to make my own bag!
If you're new to making bags, this is a great pattern to use! If you're scared of the piping, it's ok, you don't even have to use piping! I think the bag would be just as beautiful without!


If you're interested in a bag of this style for purchase,
feel free to contact me and we can work something out! :)

No comments: